1. Start by downloading the app one of two ways:
- opening Google Play on your tablet and searching for ‘OverDrive Media Console,’ or
- going to http://omc.overdrive.com/android and selecting the download for your operating system.
2. Open the app after the download has finished. You will be prompted to create an OverDrive account and log in.
3. Next, access the menu to add the Municipal Library Consortium.
- In the new version of the app this is done by swiping the screen from left to right (or tapping the OverDrive icon in the top left corner), then tapping ‘Add a Library.’
4. Next, enter your library name or zip code and add the Municipal Library Consortium.
* Click the star next to the library name to save the library in your main menu.
Borrowing Audio and eBooks:
The OverDrive app functions the same as the web browser. You can search for specific books, authors and titles, at the top of the page (with search bar) or you can browse Collections and Subjects.
5. When you have selected a book, click on the word “Borrow” underneath the title image.
6. Next, you will be prompted to enter your library card number to check out the book.
7. Once you have signed in, you will be taken to your Loans page. Complete the checkout by clicking ‘Add to App’ next to the title for Audiobooks (Audiobooks automatically select format of MP3). For eBooks, click on ‘Choose a Format’ and then select EPUB.
8. Open the main menu and select ‘Bookshelf’ to access your downloaded eBook or Audiobook. All items can be checked out for 3 weeks and will automatically be returned after the loan period has expired.
The OverDrive Menu:
Opens a menu where you can browse through Subjects, Collections, the Kids & Teens rated items, access the Help page, and Sign In.
Opens your account information. See currently checked out books, your holds and adjust your settings.
Click on the word “Search” and type in an author or title to find an item. Suggestions will appear and you can filter options by making an Advanced Search.
Placing a Hold:
- If a title can be borrowed, it will display a blue “Available” banner and if not, will display a white “Wait List” banner with the word “Place a Hold” underneath the title image.
- Click on the blue circle with three dots to take you to the title information page.
- Instead of the option to borrow the book, you will be able to place a hold.
- Sign in if you have not already and confirm your email address is correct. The library will contact you when your hold is available. After you have received your e-mail you will have 3 days to check out your hold.
- It is suggested that you check the box for automatic check-outs.
- To access your hold or to download the item when available, go to your Loans page (the icon of books).
- Next, if the title is not already displayed in the Loans section, choose your holds from the menu on the left.
Want some more tips on how to use OverDrive on your Android tablet? Check out these sites:
- How to return a downloaded title early
- Read Kindle titles on Android devices
- OverDrive Help for Android